The Fall/Winter 2019 edition of New York Fashion Week kicked off yesterday and amidst a sea of black, there was an explosion of colour in textiles, ranging from luscious velvets to the roughness of acid-wash denim. As the collections unfold over the next week, take a look at the four designers that we have chosen to showcase from Day 1, and invite you to embrace the beauty of each.
Tom Ford – Hitting the Sweet Spot
Tom Ford was overheard backstage explaining this season he was “not playing it safe but was in a search for security.” The men’s and women’s suiting were very similar, practically unisex, with strong shoulders, slim-fitting jackets, the narrowest of pants. Fabrics were noteworthy in their luscious-ness of colour and texture. Red, pink, and purples were combined into single looks. Some said this runway was reminiscent of Ford’s mid-1990s collection where he introduced his signature velvet tuxedo. Whatever the inspiration, we love it!
Rachel Comey – Go Bright or Go Home
Ulla Johnson – Fantastic Florals
Jonathan Cohen – Prints and Patchwork
There is nothing ‘granny’ about this collection of beautifully structured silhouettes. Utilizing techniques that we associate with the hand-construction favoured by older generations, Jonathan Cohen presented charming dresses with raw edges and lean proportions that moved effortlessly. The line-up was like witnessing a romantic poem coming to life. Kudo’s to this designer who is only in his 8th year of creating professionally.
The NYFW runways are barely warmed up and as the weeks shows roll-out, expect fairytale insanity as local designers Laurence & Chico present, and grandeur as heavy-hitters like Prabal Gurung, Jonathan Simkhai, and the glorious Naeem Khan share their Fall/Winter 2019 visions.
- Helen Siwak is passionate about content creation, marketing, shopping secondhand, promoting a vegan lifestyle, and supporting organizations and activists fighting against the status quo. She is the founder and president of EcoLuxLuv Comms (Folio.YVR Luxury Lifestyle Magazine, EcoLuxLifestyle.co), and VEG Networking Group | [email protected].
- Fashion2022.05.17HUNTER Creates Summer ‘BLOOM’ Collection from ALGAE!
- Home & Decor2022.05.16Mid-Century to Modern: Sourcing Sustainable Furniture & Decor
- ☆ Shop Local Spotlights!2022.05.12Subscription Kits – Eat, Drink & Clean-Up with YVR-based Brands
- ☆ Shop Local Spotlights!2022.05.08Get Gorgeous at Green Circle Hair Salons: 5 Recommendations