Miso Glazed Vegan Mushroom Scallops are made with meaty King Trumpet mushrooms marinated in a sweet and savoury sauce full of umami flavour. Enjoy as an appetizer or add to pasta, rice or vegetables for a main dish. Marinate the mushrooms the night before or in the morning and have a quick, delicious, nutritious dinner ready in only 10 minutes.
What Are King Trumpet Mushrooms?
The King Trumpet mushroom is the largest member of the oyster mushroom family, from which it gets another of its many names: king oyster mushroom. The more common term King trumpet, as well as French horn mushroom and trumpet royale, refers to the mushroom’s trumpet-like cap, which extends from a thick stem. King trumpet mushrooms are native to the Mediterranean, North Africa and the Middle East. However, as their popularity has grown in recent years, they are now cultivated worldwide. They are trendy in China and Japan for their umami flavour.
Health Benefits Of King Trumpet Mushrooms
King trumpet mushrooms are not just super delicious; they are also full of health-supporting nutrients, such as naturally occurring antioxidants. They have a high protein content, several B vitamins, and essential amino acids. Their medicinal benefits include promoting anti-tumour activity and lowering high cholesterol. In addition, King trumpet mushrooms have exceptionally high levels of ergothioneine, an antioxidant found in the mushroom’s mycelium and fruit bodies that helps reduce damage from free radicals and oxidative stress.
King Trumpet mushrooms also contain a high quantity of selenium, another essential antioxidant. Several recent studies have turned up even more impressive health benefits of king trumpet mushrooms. These powerful superfoods have been shown to lower cholesterol and help with weight loss. They’ve been linked to a lower risk of breast cancer and prostate cancer. (Source: ommushrooms.com)
Where To Buy
Most grocery or specialty stores will carry King Trumpet Mushrooms (King Oyster Mushroom) alongside other types of mushrooms. In the right conditions, they can grow all year long. If you would like to grow them at home, you can buy spores to get you started. Homegrown always tastes the best- do you not agree?
Miso Glazed Vegan Mushroom Scallops
Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cook Time: 10 minutes | Total Time: 30 minutes
Yields 2-4 servings | 140 calories/serving
For Miso Glazed Vegan Mushroom Scallops
8 Large King Trumpet Mushrooms (King Oyster Mushroom)
3/4 cup hot vegetable stock
2 tbsp white miso paste
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce (tamari for gluten-free)
1 tbsp nori flakes
1 tbsp vegan butter for frying (optional)
Parsley chopped for garnish
Instructions / Miso Glazed Vegan Mushroom Scallops
- Prep mushrooms by gently removing any dirt or debris with a paper towel or vegetable brush. Remove the tops and trim the bottom. Save these for future recipes.
- Slice the stem into 1-inch thick rounds. Cut a criss-cross pattern into the top 1/4 inch deep. Be careful not to cut through the mushroom.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the miso paste, maple syrup, soy sauce, and nori flakes into the hot vegetable stock until combined.
- Add mushroom rounds, and marinate for fifteen minutes – one hour or overnight.
- Heat a large skillet over medium/high heat. Add vegan butter. Once melted, place mushrooms in the pan flat side down. Cook for five minutes on one side. Once golden brown, flip cooking the second side.
- Remove from heat. Garnish with chopped parsley. Enjoy hot.
- Susan Pratt is an entrepreneur, vegan chef, food photographer and author who enjoys life with her family in beautiful North Vancouver. Susan shares her love of cooking vegan for her family through her SusanCooksVegan brand that eating healthy doesn't need to be daunting or inaccessible. Susan creates approachable, delicious and visually appealing plant-based dishes and shares recipes and video demos on her website. Watch for the exciting upcoming launch of The Susan Cooks Vegan Cooking Show series on UnchainedTV: Vegan News Network.
- #SusanCooksVegan2022.06.24#SusanCooksVegan: How To Make A Carrot Lox Vegan Cream Cheese Bagel
- #SusanCooksVegan2022.06.16#SusanCooksVegan: Let’s Make Sweet Ginger Cauliflower
- #SusanCooksVegan2022.06.08#SusanCooksVegan: How To Make Strawberry Nice Cream & Dragon Fruit Parfait
- #SusanCooksVegan2022.06.03#SusanCooksVegan: How To Make Miso Glazed Vegan Mushroom Scallops