Do you feel that scoring a perfect pair of jeans is on par with the odds of winning the lottery? Why does it seem the quest for the perfect fit – from jeans to jackets – will test your patience to extremes, then add to that struggle, finding sustainable denim that is genuinely worthy of the price tag.
Here are our suggestions for sustainable and ethical denim available in the Lower Mainland that is as socially responsible as they are stylish. Each brand takes a unique twist while bringing no new plastic into the landfills.
With sustainability woven into their business model, Triarchy is making plastic-free stretch denim that is timeless and chic. The denim is made with COREVA, a biodegradable elastomer that gives the denim stretch without any plastic. With longevity in mind, their products are made with responsibly sourced materials and washed with advanced sustainable laundry technology to save water waste. When Triarchy re-evaluated their business practices in 2016, they made changes for the better by paying all their garment workers a living wage with safe working conditions and creating garments with as little environmental impact as possible. With this at the center of their business, their pieces are 100% organic cotton, and chemical-free. The brand is PETA-approved and carbon neutral. Available in Vancouver at Nordstrom.
Vancouver-based brand Decade Denim is making shape-inclusive jeans that are made from 100% cotton with no elastane to create flattering and durable pieces. Their collection is suitable for all seasons and does not change from season to season to encourage sustainable shopping habits. Their material is sourced in Italy and the pieces are assembled in Northern Portugal by highly trained artisans. With a wide range of sizes from 25 up to 50, Decade strives to be inclusive and embrace bodies of all shapes and sizes. The jeans are classic fits that are made to be worn year after year, and when you are done wearing them, they can be sent to a recycling facility that will break them down to the fibre so that the cotton can be reused for insulation. Incredible!
Shop Secondhand for Denim
For those who are always on the lookout for a great deal and even more sustainability in their wardrobe – try thrifting! Our favourite shops to hit for on-trend and affordable jeans are My Sister’s Closet on Main Street, Yaletown’s Mine & Yours on sales day, and Community Thrift in Gastown. Brands to watch out for that are eco-friendly and have sustainable practices are Levi’s, Nudie Jeans, Outland, and Citizens of Humanity.
- Olivia is passionate about fashion, writing and supporting brands that go above and beyond to support environmental and ethical issues. She believes in living an eco-friendly lifestyle and shopping sustainably and locally. As she learns more, Olivia strives to find brands to showcase that create high-quality products worthy of support.
- Fashion2022.05.01Sustainable Shopping: Canadian Brands that Bring it! From Kotn to Franc
- Fashion2022.04.25Sustainable Activewear: Introducing Alder, tentree, Free Label & Vitae Apparel
- Fashion2022.04.18Sustainable Loungewear: Stay Stylish & Comfy in These 3 Chic Lines
- Fashion2022.04.11Sustainable Shopping: Outerwear that Gets You Outside in Style